Monday, June 28, 2010

Tool #6

Never been a huge fan of wikis, mainly because anyone can put anything on a wiki, regardless of whether it is factual or not. I have had to explain to both my students and 80-something year old mom that just because "it says so on the computer" doesn't mean it is true - not a great tool for research.

I can see using them in place of student portfolios (I did something similar 6 years ago in a NY City public school), but other than taking up less physical space than a regular portfolio, it is really more time-consuming. Plus, in NY, I always had an hour each day to use for planning and preparation, plus an hour of duty-free lunch - it was the law, and everyone kept to it - the power of a real, collective bargaining state union at work.

Working at a school where I have to often point out that not getting a planning time is against the law, (and it doesn't make me less of a "team player," but rather an advocate for all teachers) every moment is precious, and if it takes less time to just use a folder than a wiki, I will.

I got a little excited to see "Westwood Schools" wiki, but it was not the SBISD Westwood - it was a district in Georgia. Very well done - I bet they get planning time daily there without having to alway bring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment